Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The decision to buy

So how did we find this dream home?

I’m guessing most people make the decision to buy a home after a deliberate and even in-depth reflection. Maybe most people even sit down and make a plan, figuring out how much money they need and when they can really afford a home. Searching for a new home for us was really about taking a break from a hectic workday.

JF and I had a brief discussion about starting to look for a house… in about a year, but as usual I was impatient. So, when things got stressful, I would take a break and log onto the Remax or MLS (multiple listing services) sites and look at homes and imagine our new digs. I would then e-mail JF with my favourites and let him talk about how far they were or how much he disliked them. It became a sort of game and I was really enjoying it, I even convinced hubby to take a drive to a suburb to look at a few homes (from the outside only). Well, one day I discovered the site of this new development, close to the water, with a marina, a stream, parks, and only 3 minutes from the city. We drove down, walked into the demo home and never looked at another house.

Obviously, the house is more expensive then we thought, not even built (we were initially looking for a pre-existing home), and gorgeous. So what could we do, we were smitten.

So now, we have negotiated an offer, we are negotiating our mortgage and I am getting more and more nervous (there goes my stress release). My mom keeps calling to tell me how beautiful the house is, but ‘can you guys really afford this?’ I keep asking questions about things I don’t understand like what type of insulation, whether we can put an electronic filter in our furnace (who new filters were electronic?) and driveway drainage, will the garage flood?

Hopefully things work out!!!

Pam

No comments: